Non-toxic nail polish is safe and will keep your nails naturally polished especially if you are pregnant, or if your kids are going to use it. In this article, find out:
- What is the best nontoxic nail polish brand?
- What is the best non-toxic nail polish remover?
- What are the top-rated safe nail polishes for kids?
- Is nail polish toxic for pregnant women?
- Is natural nail polish nontoxic?
- How can I make my own safe nail polish?
Have you ever wondered that your nail polish may contain toxic and harmful substances for your health? Some of the lacquers are labeled as toxic free. However, a keen look will reveal harmful toxic compounds.
Whatever the label, you will likely be surprised to find that some of the ingredients used are unsafe. Research has shown that in every bottle of cosmetics, there is at least one ingredient that is associated with health and environmental problems such as asthma, cancer, reproductive problems and many others. So, what ingredients are toxic in nail polish?
So, what ingredients are toxic in nail polish?
- Dibutyl phthalate (a known disruptor of the endocrine system; can lead to kidney failure)
- Formaldehyde (a known carcinogen)
- Toluene (affects the central nervous system and respiratory problems)
When choosing the best nail polish, make sure you avoid those that contain these main toxic ingredients. There are also brands widely marketed and reviewed as nontoxic, like these found below.
Best Non Toxic Nail Polish Brands – Overall Top Rated
- Julep Spring Nail Polish Collection
- Sumbody Nail Polish
- Orly Nail Lacquers
- RGB Polish in Sea is camphor-free
- Nubar Nail Polishes
- Butter London Nail Lacquers
- Priti NYC Flowers nail polish in Sky Waltz Delphinium
- Sheswai Lacquer in Honeyfox
- Nails Inc Nail Polishes
- Acquarella Water Color Nail Polish
- Scotch Naturals
- Keeki Pure and Simple Nail Polish
- Suncoat Nail Polishes are water based and safe for babies, pregnant women. Princess Purple, Gorgeous Green, and Starlight Silver
- Hopscotch Kids WaterColors in Heads Up, Seven Up, Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater, and Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear
- Piggy Paint in Sea-quin, Sometimes Sweet, and Dandelion Dance
- Honeybee Gardens
- No-Miss Nail Paint
- Peacekeeper Cause-Metics
- Safe Nail Polish – made in USA
- Keeki Nail Polish in Grasshopper Pie, Glazed Donut, and Raspberry Sorbet
Best Non Toxic Nail Polish for Babies and Kids
Nail polishes for kids should be natural, and if possible, water-based. Some of the best brands in the market are labeled as biodegradable with simple ingredients such as acrylic polymer, water, and nontoxic colorants. For kids, nail paint should be eco-friendly, soluble and hypoallergic. Babies keep on experiencing the world using their sense of taste, and will often put their hands in the mouth. This can pose the danger of poisoning. The best non-toxic nail polish for babies or kids include:
- Eco Princess
- SNAILS kids’ nail polish
- Hopscotch Kids Water Colors Safe Nail Polish
- Suncoat Girl
- Priti NYC
- Piggy Paint
- Keeki Pure and Simple
- Willow Tree Minerals
- Bug Me Not Nail Polish
- Beautiful Life Nail Lacquer
You can also find some child-friendly and natural nail polishes in places that sell natural and handmade cosmetics like Etsy.com.
When choosing the best kids safe nail polish, ensure that you go for a natural or organic nail polish and a brand that is easily washable. Most organic nail polish brands are of this characteristic and are likely to be good picks for your baby. Remember that a baby-friendly nail polish is safe even for the environment.
Best Non Toxic Nail Polish Remover
Nail polish removers are plenty. We have already seen some options. But, there are ingredients in these that make them unsafe and even capable of making nails brittle. So, what is the best non-toxic nail polish remover? What should you look for when choosing the best safe or toxic free nail paint remover?
So, what is the best nontoxic nail polish remover? What should you look for when choosing the best safe or toxic free nail paint remover? Here are some options:
- G2 Organics Nail Polish Remover
- Spa Ritual Fluent Gentle Conditioning Lacquer Remover (chemical free and dissolves nail polishes fast without odors)
- Polished Mama Moisturizing Remover – safe for pregnant women and children
- Priti Soy Nail Polish Remover
- Eco Easy Nail Polish Remover
- No-Miss Gentle Remover
- Non-Acetone Cucumber Polish Remover
- Odorless Nail Polish Remover
- Hypoallergenic Nail Polish Remover
- Acquarella Remover
Try these removers for a safer and more ecological manicure. See how to make safe nail polish remover.
How to Make Non Toxic Nail Polish
You can make your own natural nail polish, or organic nail polish and remover. This will be a great alternative when you want to have something that is safe, or if you are a vegan. You will need to collect some natural ingredients in order to make your own DIY homemade nail polish.
Ingredients: Alkanet root, beeswax, vitamin E oil, olive oil
Procedure for Making Safe Nail Polish:
- Heat alkanet and olive oil in a double boiler.
- After they get warm, set them for 5 minutes.
- Use a strainer to separate the root from the mixture and pour the oil into the double boiler again. Add your beeswax and allow it time to melt.
- Add vitamin E oil to the mix.
- Remove from the boiler and you are ready to go.
- Apply your homemade nail polish on your nails. It is safe and all natural.
Where to Buy Non Toxic Nail Polish
Getting the best nail polishes that are safe to use is a hard task in itself. Most of the brands listed above can be found on Ebay or Amazon. However, you should be able to find them in drug stores and outlets such as Walgreens, Walmart, and CVS or online websites with natural products.