nail polish removal
Remove Gel Nail Polish – How to do At Home, Best Remover Kits, Tips, Ideas, Soak-Offs
How to remove gel nail polish? The following steps are coupled with tips and ideas to ensure that the removal process is smooth. You can remove gel nail polish at home with a remover kit. Soak-offs are simple to remove and take 30 minutes at most, depending on the removal process.
Here, you will learn how to remove gel nail polish. Unlike ordinary nail polishes, gel nail polish is long lasting and lasts for up to 6 weeks before it starts peeling or chipping. However, after about two weeks of sporting gel nails, you will start seeing growth at the base of your nails. This will tempt you to start biting or picking your gel nails. Do not remove gel nail polish using your nails or teeth to peel it off. It will make your nails brittle and visibly damaged. This nail polish often peels off with nails if the removal process is done incorrectly. That is just one of the disadvantages of gel nails.
In this article, we’ll answer the following questions:
- How to I remove gel nail polish?
- What care tips should I consider when removing gel nails?
- What are the best gel nail polish removers?
- Can I remove gel nail polish at home? What are the DIY steps?
How to Remove Gel Nail Polish at Home – Simple DIY Steps/Tutorial
The steps to remove gel nail polish are not similar to that you use with ordinary nail polishes. It is a bit more complicated than what you are used to. However, this how to remove gel nail polish at home guide is simple to follow. You will need the following items in order to do it properly. Some gel nail polish kits come with all the removal items you will need to go through the process.
You will need the following:
- Aluminum foils
- A cuticle pusher or orange stick
- A buffing block
- 100 percent acetone polish remover
- A coarse nail file
- Cotton wool
- Cuticle oil or the best hand moisturizer
You can also remove gel nail polish by using any other nail polish remover that is highly recommended, other than the 100% acetone polish remover you buy at the drugstore. If you do not want to use cotton wool in the removal process, you could also use OPI Expert Touch Removal wraps.
Steps to Remove Gel Nail Polish
- File the surface of your nails using a coarse nail file. This will break down the top coat that is normally glossy and allow your gel nail polish remover to penetrate the polish.
- Make 5 cotton balls and soak them with acetone UV gel polish remover. Place the cotton balls on the fingernails, one by one.
- Taking one finger at a time, wrap the cotton ball on the nails onto the nails using aluminum foil strips you collected in your best gel nail polish remover kit. Make it a bit tight just to ensure that the cotton ball remains in contact with the nails.
- Wait for about 10 to 15 minutes for the polish remover to penetrate the layers you made when applying gel nail polish.
- Remove the aluminum foil from one finger to see if the polish is coming loose starting from the edges of the nail. If it does, then you are ready to remove gel nail polish from your fingers.
- To remove it completely, remove the foils and use an orange stick or the cuticle pusher to scrape off the polish from the nails.
- Smooth the surface of each nail using the buffing block. This will gently remove gel nail polish bits that remain on the nails.
- Wash your hands clean and then moisturize them, paying close attention to the skin around the nails.
Voila! You now know how to remove gel nail polish at home. This process is particularly known to be very successful for soak-off gel nail polish.
Tips for Removing Gel Polish
- Do not use sharp objects to remove gel nail polish by scraping off in step 6 above. Any sharp object you use will peel off the top layer of your nails. Avoid them even if you are doing a DIY gel removal at home.
- If you are not sure how to remove gel nail polish using the DIY steps outlined here, ensure that you visit a manicure salon to have them removed. If you try it yourself, you might end up damaging your nails by peeling them off.
You can also use ordinary cutex remover, but be careful when choosing one. Any cutex remover without acetone in it will not work. Choose a nails polish remover carefully to ensure that you do not end up removing gel nail polish in vain.
How to Remove Gel Nail Polish without Acetone
Acetone is not very kind to the skin and nails. Therefore, many people prefer to remove gel nails using acetone-free methods and techniques. Here are quick steps to remove UV gel nail polish without acetone:
- File off the glossy enamel coating your gel nails.
- Warm the nail polish remover by dipping it in warm water for ONLY two minutes.
- Drench a small ball of cotton wool with the remover.
- Put on your nails and wrap well with aluminum foil for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and the cotton balls. It should come off with the polish.
- Rub the surface of your nails to take off any traces of polish remaining.
- Rinse your hands thoroughly and apply moisturizer.
Best Gel Nail Polish Remover Products
- Gelish Soak Off nail remover
- OPI Expert Touch Remover
- Opi Expert Touch Removal Wraps
- OPI Polish Remover
- Super Nail Pure Acetone
- Zoya Remove Plus Nail Polish Remover
- IBD Nail Wipes- Lint Free
- Cutex Polish Remover Pads
- Harmony Gelish Soak-off Gel Polish Structure Gel
There are other methods used to remove gel nail polish such as the bowl method that uses warm water and towel wraps. If you have tried them, you can share your experience and procedure of removal.
What are your secrets for removing soak-off gel nail polish? Comment below.
- How to Remove Nail Polish from Clothes, Couch & Shoes
- How to Remove Nail Polish from Carpet, Tile & Marble Floor
- How to remove Nail Polish from Skin Around Nails & Without Acetone
- How to remove Shellac nail Polish
- Best Nail Polish Removers-Guide